Sunday, January 22, 2012

It should smell good too.

The Language of Flowers
Vanessa Diffenbaugh

For any of you that know me, you know that I HATE to work in the yard.  Flowers, trees and weeds are the death of me every summer.  I don't buy flats of flowers every year but depend solely on those that pop back up every spring.  This book makes me want to start my own greenhouse.  The words and phrases used by Diffenbaugh make the book come alive. 

The story is simply heartwarming and very well told.  It is about an orphan, Veronica, who has a love of flowers from an early age. Every flower has a meaning and Veronica uses flowers to express herself, almost more than she uses words.  As she goes through life flowers are the only comfort she has.  There are many foster homes, group homes and failed adoptions.  Then one day she is deemed unadoptable by a judge and when she is 18 she is thrown out on her own.  Flowers are all she knows and eventually she lands a job with a florist. 

Eventually Veronica learns to trust herself and others.  She becomes a very sought after florist when one particular client credits Veronica with saving her relationship.  This book will tug at your heart strings and I may have shed a tear or two.  But the most amazing thing was the description of the flowers.  I could smell them, the author made them so very real.  I felt like the pages of book had come alive and I was standing in the middle of Veronica's garden.


This is surely a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment