Monday, January 16, 2012

A good start!

11/22/63
Stephen King

This New Year is off to a good start and a not so good start.  My not so good start is that today is January 16th and this is my first post.  My good start is that the first book I read in 2012 is a real winner.  As the new year rolled around I thought that I would be more dedicated to my blog.  Posting once a week doesn't really seem like it would be that hard.  Then January started, our computer crashed and I got sick in the first week.  I'm sure that blogging at work is frowned upon so here I am my first day on our new computer.  I will be (or try REALLY hard) to be more dedicated to writing in the blog.  Now on to the books!

I have never read a Stephen King novel because frankly I don't really want to be scared enough to wet the bed at night.  However, all the reviews said this novel was not scary and that it was a fantastic story.  They were right!  It is a time travel novel so it has it's own weirdness but it was so well written and thought out that I wasn't distracted by this. 

Jake is a teacher in 2011.  Al, a friend of Jake's, shows him a "rabbit hole" to 1958.  When Al dies, Jake takes on his friends quest to prevent the assassination of JFK.  Hence the title of the book.  So Jake must live in the "Land of Ago" as he comes to think of it, until 11/22/63 when he can change history.  One caveat with the time travel is that every trip to 1958 resets the past.  So anything Jake fixes on his first trip back, he has to continue to fix each time he goes.  I really can't say too much more without spoiling the book.  It has everything though, love, mystery and science fiction.  I would encourage you to read it.  The only thing scary is the 840 pages but I still read it in like 10 days.  It is completely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment