Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What's the point?

Have you ever started reading a book and wondered what is the point of this book?  There are some books that have an obvious direction.  For example, when someone is murdered in the first chapter you know exactly where the book is headed.  Someone is going to try and solve the murder.  But what about those books that don't have a clear direction? 

I'm currently reading one of those books.  I find myself asking what is the point of this story?  The book is called "Girls in White Dresses" by Jennifer Close.  I am enjoying the book but I think part of it is the mystery of wondering how the book is going to end.  I feel like it has no direction.  I'm over 100 pages in and I don't know who the main character is.  At first I thought it was Isabella.  The first chapter is written from her point of view.  But the second chapter is written from Ellen's point of view.  And the third chapter by another character's point of view.  The author leaves you guessing who is talking and each chapter is not clearly labeled. 

Aside from character issues the story doesn't flow.  Each chapter has a name, such as "The Rules of Life" and "Summer Sausage."  It's almost as if each chapter is its own short story.  Characters make appearances in other chapters that are not written from their point of view.  As a group they are miserable women who live in New York City, drink too much and date questionable men.  I can only hope that each girl's story has a happy ending because right now I'm just sad for them.

I'll reserve giving a recommendation this book until I've finished reading it.  More to come on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment